Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Top Ten Favorite Golden Book Covers


This week's theme at The Broke and the Bookish is one I couldn't resist: Top Ten Covers. I narrowed my selections to Golden Books, that classic yet oh so affordable series started in 1942. A book cost 25 cents back then, quite a bargain. Through the years dozens of children's books top illustrators produced for Golden Books, including Garth Williams, Richard Scarry, Alice and Martin Provensen, and James Marshall. Below are some covers I particularly cherish. They are just the tip of the iceberg.

Which Golden Books are your favorites?













5 comments:

  1. These are fun to look at. I’m not familiar with some of the books you show here.

    One of my favorites is THE BUNNY BOOK. The cover has a Richard Scarry bunny in footie pajamas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Pokey the Little Puppy, I remember that one!

    http://kristina-worldofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/03/top-10-tuesdays-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love The Pokey Little Puppy and its cover! What a cute theme you picked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember these! I think I had all the ones you have pictured! I wish I still had them for my grandchildren!

    My TTT: http://sosimplesara.blogspot.com/2012/03/top-ten-covers.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite is The Sailor Dog, so I was glad to see it as I scrolled down your list. It's also one of my favorite stories to read aloud.

    ReplyDelete