Friday, March 9, 2012

Gallimaufry Friday

The past week has been a busy one as I scrambled to meet writing deadlines, prepared and taught my weekly fiction writing class, and packed for next Friday's big move. Even with so much going on, I managed to procrastinate, surfing the web for interesting tidbits. Here's what I found.

"Locked away for more than 150 years...." Doesn't that sound like the start to a fabulous fairytale? It is, in a way. A collection of 500 new fairytales, myths, and legends was recently discovered in Germany. Franz Xaver, a historian, gathered the tales around the same time the Grimm brothers were recording folklore. Here's an article from the Guardian, which includes a link to one of the tales, "The Turnip Princess."

Fans of Jon Klassen rejoice. Another picture book is due out in October, and this one also features a hat. Klassen's I Want My Hat Back won wide acclaim when it was released last year. The protagonist of This Is Not My Hat is a minnow sporting a snazzy bowler hat. Can't wait to read this one.

Ever wondered how The Hunger Games would look performed by the Muppets? No? Even if this strange pairing never crossed your mind, you should watch the Muppet's spoof on this modern classic.



Yesterday, March 7, was World Read Aloud Day, and from Mexico to India to NYC, you could hear the sound of presenters clearing their throats as they got ready to read to spellbound children.

And don't forget to cast your vote for this year's Diagram Prize. The award goes to the previous year's book with the oddest title. This year's shortlist includes:

A Century of Sand Dredging in the Bristol Channel: Volume Two
(Hard to imagine the topic couldn't be concluded in one book!)

Cooking with Poo (Don't worry, poo is Thai  for crab.)

Estonian Sock Patterns All Around the World

The Great Singapore Penis Panic: And the Future of American Mass Hysteria (I wonder if this one needed to be cut?)

A Taxonomy of Office Chairs

The Mushroom in Christian Art (my personal favorite)

Although I voted for The Mushroom, I predict Cooking with Poo will win. The winner will be announced on March 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment