Friday, March 2, 2012

Gallimaufry Friday

The past seven days have been busy ones for lovers of children's literature. Here are some of the highlights that kept me blogging and tweeting all week.

Last Sunday I stayed up past my bedtime to watch the Oscars to the end (11:30). Although much was ho-hum, Christopher Plummer and Meryl Streep gave classy acceptance speeches. I haven't had a chance to see Hugo (it's on my list), but I was still glad it snagged five awards. I did watch The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, a short animated film by William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg, and you can too, here.

In sad news, Jan Berenstain, who with her husband Stan created the Berenstain Bears series, died last Friday at age eighty-eight.

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of A Brief History of Picture Books.

Be sure to check out February's Carnival of Children's Literature over at The Fourth Musketeer, cleverly tied to Mardi Gras. It has a fantastic roundup from kidlit bloggers, including a post by yours truly.

Publisher's Weekly gives us a sneak peek of some upcoming fall  children's books.

Yesterday was National Pig Day. I have a fondness for pigs (surprisingly smart animals), as does my daughter. Imagine children's literature without pigs. Why, there would be no three little pigs, no Piglet, no Wilbur, no Mercy Watson.

And last, but by no means least, today is the birthday of Dr. Seuss, born in 1904. Here are seven facts you might not know about the good doctor, courtesy of Huff Post. Back in 1997, NEA started Read Across American and tied it to his birthday. There are tons of events throughout the country. Check here to see what's taking place in your state. March 2 is also the day the movie The Lorax debuts. I've found other recent Seuss movies unwatchable (Jim Carey's The Grinch. Need I say more?), and unfortunately this one might be another, at least according to a review in today's NY Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment