Monday, January 23, 2012

And the Winners Are...

Whew, what a ride! Just finished watching the ALA Youth Media Awards webcast. I'm happy to report I cheered more than I groaned. Here are the awards that had me up and dancing:

The Margaret A. Edwards Award went to Susan Cooper, one of my favorite fantasy writers. I read The Dark Is Rising series as a child, and it made such an impression. The Boggart is another favorite.

Balloons Over Broadway won the Robert F. Silbert Award for most distinguished nonfiction book! If you haven't picked up this picture book about how the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade got started, you're missing out. Read my review here.

Jack Gantos now has a Newbery under his belt for Dead End in Norvelt. I haven't read it yet, (it's on my TBR list), but Gantos is such an incredible writer. His Joey Pigza books knocked me over. I'm so happy he won.

The Theodore Seuss Geisel Award for most distinguished beginning reader left me speechless, I must say. One of the three honor books, See Me Run, which I read as a Cybils Round One judge, didn't wow me, then or now. The book that won the award--Tales for Very Picky Eaters--left me gobsmacked. When I reviewed the book, I found the father's tall tales amusing, true, but I wouldn't have chosen it over either I Broke My Trunk or the remarkable I Want My Hat Back.  


Click here to see a list of all the winners.

2 comments:

  1. I was also happy to see Balloons Over Broadway recognized. All the Caldecott books are wonderful. Would have loved to see a few other of my favorites from the year selected as honors as well, but very happy A Ball for Daisy won. In general, I have some serious catch-up reading to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very happy on the Susan Cooper award, too. This was on my required reading list when I started at the library. Loved it then. Love it now--and all her other books besides!

    ReplyDelete