Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Bone Dog

One of the rules I live by is not to read anything in which a dog dies, and that includes picture books. I made an exception for Bone Dog, by Caldecott medalist Eric Rohmann. Ella, an old dog, tells Gus, the boy who loves her, that she won't be around much longer. "But no matter what happens, I'll always be with you," she promises. How Ella keeps her promise is the charm behind this picture book, perfect for Halloween, or any old day.

 Although the book might be scary for some young readers (a skeleton crew ambushes Gus in a cemetery), on the whole humor dominates, as when the skeletons tell Gus, "You've got guts kid...but not for long." And the ending message, that a dog's loyalty knows no bounds, is ultimately reassuring. Rohmann's signature style of dark outlines underscores the dramatic cemetery setting and is guaranteed to send shivers up readers' spines. Don't wait for Halloween for this one, check it out now.

Bone Dog
by Eric Rohmann
Roaring Brook Press, 32 pages
Published: July, 2011


4 comments:

  1. Our blog has a policy against reviewing any book that has a dog die, but I’ve actually got this one waiting for me at the library. Will it make me cry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an interesting book. Hmmmm. I've noticed that my girls are starting to be intrigued by ghosts and other scary things these days, so maybe this is a book we should look into...if it isn't too scary. Maybe I will have to read it myself first. Thanks for posting about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 5 year old is easily scared by things on television and in movies, but not as much in books. And he loves skeletons. He thinks they're hysterical. We'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete