Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ten Top Characters I'd Name My Children After



This week's topic at The Broke and the Bookish is literary characters you'd name your offspring after. Since I'm named after Catherine in Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms, I thought I'd give it a stab.

1. Emma (from Jane Austen's novel of the same name) This one was easy because I did indeed name my daughter after Austin's feisty heroine. Her father, a fan of Emma Peel of Avengers fame, agreed.

2. Harriet (from Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh)

3. Matilda (from Roald Dahl's novel of the same name)

4. Lucy (from C.S. Lewis's Narnia series)

5. Charlotte (from E.B. White's Charlotte's Web) Love spiders, love writing, love the name.

6. Cassandra (from Greek mythology)

7.  Nick (from Dashiell Hammet's The Thin Man)

8. Benjamin (from Beatrice Potter's The Tale of Benjamin Bunny)

9. Adam (from George Eliot's Adam Bede)

10. Ebenezer (from Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol) I don't know if I could actually go through with it, but I do like the name. It has a certain ring about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment